The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a complete dietary plan during the Coronavirus Pandemic and advised for balanced nutrition in the best interest of human health Best Dietary Plan During The Current Covid-19 Pandemic. It is important to take balanced nutrition and hydration during the self-quarantine for COVID patients. Those people who observe a balanced dietary plan always remain healthier with a strong immune system. There is always a low chance of catching the infection of any infectious disease for those who are taking balanced nutrition in their daily lives. If you have self-quarantined being a COVID patient then there is utmost need to have extravagant care of your health by taking a variety of fresh foods so that you can get maximum vitamins through the daily meal. Antioxidants, protein, fiber diet, and minerals are an essential part of the body that helps in boosting the immune system.
In this article, we will learn how to boost the immunity system by following a balanced food plan during the self-quarantine period:
1: Avoid Processed Food:
- Always make it a priority to take fresh ingredients that are perishable or have less shelf life. Always try to eat those fruits and vegetables or dairy products which are easily available in fresh form and make them prioritize over non-perishable products. You may also use frozen fruits and vegetables for a long period if fresh ingredients are not available. Following should be the diet for Covid patient:
- Try to add unprocessed nuts, whole grains, peas, fresh vegetables, fruits, and food that you directly obtain from animals like milk, eggs, and meat in your daily routine meal.
- Do follow the below food chart:
|Fresh Fruits||2 Cups (4 Servings)||Daily|
|Vegetables||2.5 Cups (5 Servings)||Daily|
|Grains||180 gram||1-2 times per week|
|Red meat||160 gram||1-2 times per week|
- If you are going to eat snacks then make sure these should be made with fresh vegetables and fruits having less quantity of salt, fat, and sugar. It is also pertinent to mention here that these snacks should not be overcooked as it may lose essential vitamins.
- Be selective about sugar and salt when you are going to choose dried or canned fruits and vegetables.
2: Prioritize Home-made Meal:
In tough routine life, no one has time to prepare different recipes at home and they usually prefer to go outside for lunch and dinner. But during the self-quarantine, you have a golden opportunity to prepare healthy recipes at home that you did not before. You can also search for many online recipes for a balanced diet and try to make them at home. By taking home-made hygienic food will give positive results as compared to junk foods that will consequently help in boosting the immune system and rapid Covid recovery.
3: Take Maximum Liquid:
Covid-pneumonia is a fatal lung disease that leads to shortness of breathing due to thrombosis and clotting in the lungs. Consequently cardiac and renal failure may happen. To reduce the risk of these attacks, Covid PTS should frequently take maximum water that helps in hydration and regulating blood circulation in the vessels. Water plays a vital role in human life i.e it helps in transferring minerals in the body, extraction of waste materials, lubricates joints, and regulates temperature. So during the self-quarantine period, take liquid in the following way:
- Take 6-10 cups of mineral water daily
- Although simple water is the best choice you can also take fresh juices of fruits and vegetables i.e extract lemon juice in water and without adding sugar, take 2-3 cups daily as it is the best source of vitamin C, and boost the immune system and help to fight against Covid.
- Avoid taking too much amount of coffee, sweet syrups, artificial juices, and drinks containing a high amount of sugar.
4: Avoid Eating Oily Foods:
Taking an excessive amount of fats and oil can be dangerous for health during the period of Coronavirus. As it is the lung disease where clotting takes place insides the respiratory vessels therefore by the frequent and excessive use of fatty products, can invite the risk of cholesterol in the blood and consequently increase the chance of blood clotting. The diet plan for taking oily products should like as:
- Always prefer to choose those products which contain unsaturated fats such as Almond oil, Olive oil, soya bean oil, avocado, sunflower, and canola. Do not take saturated fats products like lard, ghee, coconut oil, butter, fatty meat, and cheese as these products increase the level of cholesterol in the body and enhance the risk of blood clotting.
- Prefer to use white meat like fish or poultry as they are containing low fats as compared to red meat
- Refrain from using processed meat items due to the high amount of salt and fat.
- Avoid using bakery items like cookies, cakes, pastries, and fast food items such as pizza, snacks, French fries, and burgers as all of these are containing a high amount of saturated fat.
5: Avoid Salty And Sugary Items:
Keeping in view the sensitivity of Coronavirus, it is important to know that salty products tend to increase blood pressure, and sugary items increase the level of insulin in the body. Both disturb the respiratory function and enhance adverse effects during the Covid infection. Therefore it is important to follow the below guidelines:
- Always try to use less amount of sodium chloride while cooking and preparing food. Do not use fish sauce and soy sauce while preparing food items.
- The maximum level of salt per day should not be more than 5 grams or equivalent to one teaspoon. Prefer iodized salt and avoid ready-made snacks.
- Do not use soft drinks, cakes, artificial juices, and flavored milk as they are containing a high amount of sugar.
6: Do Not Eat Out:
Social distancing is a mandatory requirement in the current pandemic situation. The risk of spreading Corona infection increases in gathering like in restaurants and cafes. So here is the utmost requirement to maintain a safe distance from others as no one knows who the victim of Coronavirus is. It is therefore necessary to avoid eating out and prefer to stay at home. This will reduce the spreading of infection around the community. As recommended by WHO, the safe distance should be 1 meter between you and other people, because the tiny droplets through cough or sneezing may travel in the air or land in different places. So by handshaking and touching the surfaces of commercial places may increase the risk of infection. Therefore to avoid such circumstances, always stay at home and take a home-made meal.
7: Avoid Drinking Alcohol:
Excess use of alcohol not only destroys health but also weakens the immune system badly. By the regular use of alcohol, slows down the activity of the body as well as the thinking power of the brain. Due to these consequences, the risk to fight against infectious diseases increases including Coronavirus infection.
In general, one should refrain from this harmful habit but especially at times when you are self-quarantined. It has also been reported from multiples hospitals that the rate of death due to Covid-19 is high only in those patients who are addicted to using alcohol as it badly destroys the immune system to fight against Covid-19.
Furthermore, alcohol should not be used during the medication as it reduces the efficacy of a medicine or sometimes reacts with medicine and causes liver failure.
8: Safe Food Handling:
Hygienic and clean food is the foremost requirement of a healthy diet plan as clean food is the first step towards a healthy life. Especially in the current pandemic situation, one should be more vigilant while choosing and eating food. To avoid food contamination, you should follow the below guidelines:
- Clean your hands and kitchen first and then use utensils
- Do not bring shopping bags in the kitchen
- Keep separate raw material from cooked food like fresh vegetables and meat.
- Always keep foods at safe temperature i.e at 5 centigrade at low or at 60 centigrade at a high level.
By following the above instructions, you can save from waterborne or foodborne diseases.
9: Morale Support:
Taking healthy foods, vitamins, minerals, fresh juices are not enough for the recovery of coronavirus but there is an utmost need for morale support. A person who is confirmed or suspected Coronavirus patient needs more attention to family members or people living around him or her along with a healthy diet. Daily counseling and the social company is necessary for the quick recovery of the patient. Some professionals are experts enough for providing morale support to patients. This is the only way through which we can bring the patient out from the death alert with Coronavirus.